After the inception of the Post-graduate Department of Agriculture (presently known as the Institute of Agricultural Science)of the Calcutta University, the Agricultural Society of India was created September,1956(Registered under the Society Act No.XVI of 1860, Registration No. S/2871 of 1957-58) by a brand of far sighted people under the president ship of the Scientist, Professor N. R. Dhar and Professor P.K. Sen.
Since beginning, under the successive president ships of eminent scientists, the society has discharged its duties creditably and honorably. Many of the founder members, past presidents, office bearers and members of the society are no more with us. Today we recall with gratitude their selfless services to the cause of the society and we are confident that the way we have so far carried their lofty banner of ideas will be matter of pride and glory to all who have been connected with the society.
To ventilate the findings of research in agriculture, decision was taken by the society to published a scientific journal. After lot deliberations, the name of the journal was decided upon as “Indian Agriculturist” in the year 1956. Under the editorship of Prof. P.K. Sen, the then Khaira Professor of Agriculture, the Indian Agriculturist made its appearance in 1957.The journal was ;half-yearly at its early phase and now has been upgrade to quarterly. The teething financial trouble was mitigated to a certain extent by the generosity of the authorities of Calcutta University who permitted free printing of the journal in the Calcutta University Press.
The six decades of existence of Agricultural Society of India have, we believe, not belied the hopes and dreams of the society’s founding fathers. The journal continues to be the major medium of publication of scientific papers in agriculture in Eastern India. The society in the exuberance of youth, it is hoped, will be able to rise to the occasion and meet the new and demanding challenges with the help from all concerned.
Activities of the Agricultural Society of India
* Publishes of Journal INDIAN AGRICULTURIST
* The journal, INDIAN AGRICULTURIST, is the official publication of the Agricultural Society of India. It is published four times in a year (quarterly) at present in the month of March, June, September and December. The society has published journal from1957 till date.
* Journal’s ISSN : 0019-4336
* Journal’s NAAS rating :
Organises workshops, seminars and Symposium
- The Society organizes workshops, seminars and symposia. So far, the society has organized one workshop, four seminars and ten symposia.
Organises Commemoration and Memorial Lectures
- The society also organizes commemoration and Memorial Lectures on different prominent scientists.
- Facilitates eminent agricultural scientists of India.
- Maintains its library hosted at Indian Institute of Agricultural Science, Calcutta University.
- Easy access at casino tut